Although we see Bonfire Night as a means for celebration, loud bangs from fireworks can often spook our pets and cause them stress.
We have researched the best ways to help your dogs to feel more relaxed this weekend.
Here's what the Dogs Trust recommends owners do on bonfire night:
- Walk your dog before dark – make sure your dog is exercised and has had a toilet break well before any fireworks could start.
- Feed your dog before the fireworks begin as they may become unsettled and not want to eat during the fireworks.
- Make sure your house and garden are secure during the fireworks, as some dogs may try to run away if they’re scared.
- Provide a safe hiding place – make sure your dog has somewhere safe in their favourite room, for example a comfy bed under a table with blankets to make it cosy and help with soundproofing. Close the curtains, turn lights on, and turn up the volume on your TV or radio to mask the firework noises.
- Keeping your dog busy indoors can help take their mind off the noise. Play games or practise some reward-based training.
- Comfort and reassure your dog. Try to remain calm yourself and avoid telling your dog off as this might make them more worried.
- If your dog just wants to hide away then don't force them to come out of their hiding place, allow them to stay where they feel safe.
As you may know already, when anxious or stressed, dogs will lick to calm themselves down. This is why a lickmat, kong or other puzzle toy can be the perfect thing to have filled and around for your pooch this weekend.
This will give your dog the perfect distraction during any loud noises. Here is a gorgeous idea for Lickimat toppings
Photo Credit: @echo.petservices
Other great tips we have seen this week include:
- Listen to calming music to drown out the bangs - Classic FM will have a special show Friday 5th and Saturday 6th running from 6pm-10pm
- Watch a movie with your dog - staying in with a nervous dog on bonfire night can really help them to feel more at ease.
If you have any other great tips please do share them below! We hope you have a wonderful weekend.